Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why a Philosophy Job Search is Like Dating

In philosophy, when you've finished your dissertation (or are close to doing so), you get to go on the job market. I didn't actually expect this to be too stressful, because I don't mind doing applications and administrative kinds of things generally, and putting my dossier together hasn't actually been all that bad. Asking people for letters makes me uncomfortable, though promoting my research and teaching ability on paper doesn't bother me. What does end up being stressful is the way your whole mentality changes. An adviser once explained to me that thinking about the job search will take over all of your spare thoughts, to the point that it's what's on your mind when you're in the shower. And he was more or less right about how consuming it can get.

What I think is the hardest part of the job search, however, is how it's like dating: what you want is to find someone who appreciates you for who you really are, and a relationship you can start building for the long-term, knowing you belong.

What you get, instead, is a lot of impersonal ads that you scan, wondering whether you'd be compatible (Christian institution seeks associate professor of philosophy with interests in ethics and political philosophy to contribute meaningfully to school mission, enjoys deep conversation and long walks on the beach). Then you picture yourself at each school and write a letter trying to communicate your vision of how you could contribute to the department and institution (not really like using a pick-up line at all, except in that you have to start somewhere), and then you wait to see if anyone will give you a chance at a date. Since I'm still at the pick-up line stage, I don't really know how it goes after that, but I'm sure I'll give it some thought next time I shower.

1 comment: